Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:53:27 +0200
From:      Daniel Bond <db@danielbond.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   UFS/mksnap/softupdates deadlock issue

Hi,

anyone know the status of this?
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-stable@freebsd.org/msg74035.html

Every system we have after RELENG_5 has a issue with mksnap (dump/fsck) on
UFS2-partitions larger than say 800GB. This means we cannot use dump, which
is our main backup-strategy, and we have to fsck in single-user mode if theese
systems for some reason crash. This happens via ATA/SCSI-CAM/SCSI-NONCAM (like
ServeRaid).

I have seen many other users having issues with this, even big companies like
UPS, and quite frankly I am a little suprised that it still exists in
6.1-RELEASE.

How to reproduce:

run dump/fsck on live filesystem, ufs2 with softupdates over 800GB (I think
arround 600GB is enough, but I'm certain with 800GB).

What happens:

A deadlock like Tor Egge describes in his post above.

The company I work for has been using FreeBSD for more than 10 years, and we
are supprised how stable and easy to administrate it is. It's a really great
OS and we love it, but lately we have had to turn to commersial Linux vendors
(SuSE) for storage servers due to this issue. We are all using it against our
will.

If anyone needs a enviroment for testing/reproducing this error, I can setup
our old storage server her, and give access to any freebsd commiter.

If anyone knows a patch/sollution to this, please let me know, and I will
report back results.

I have not yet tested if this problem exists in 7-Current, but I could if
anyone wants me too.

--
Med vennlig hilsen / Best regards,

  Daniel Bond