Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 01:25:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCHED_ULE ok again.  feedback please?

I'm using SCHED_ULE on my laptop now.  My recent round of fixes seems to
have helped out.  I'm getting good interactive performance.  I'm doing the
following:

nice -5'd for (;;) {} process.
make -j4 buildworld

Mozilla, pine, irc, screen, vi, etc.

All interactive tasks are very responsive.  My nice -5'd looping process
is getting 70% of the cpu and my compile is taking the rest.  nice +20 may
not behave as well as in sched_4bsd right now.  I'm going to work on that.

This is on a 2ghz laptop though so your mileage may vary.  Use reports are
welcome.

Interactivity suffered so much over the last few weeks because I changed
the mechanism that determines interactivity and that impacts slice
assignment and priorities.  It took me a while to get it right but it
solved a major drawback with the old scheme.  I do not anticipate any
major rework on this part of the scheduler now.  It should only be tuning.

One thing that I'm looking for feedback on specifically is expensive but
interactive applications.  I'm thinking of office programs or mozilla on a
slow machine.  Do this while running a compile or a compute bound task.

Thanks,
Jeff