Date:      Thu, 11 May 2006 21:01:31 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3_Zsolt?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
To:        "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>,  freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA Raid motherboard

>> Unfortunately, I do not have the
>> hardware yet, so I cannot try this. A real SCSI RAID controller would be
>> too expensive for me. If I cannot install the whole system on the
>> mirrored set, then probably it is better to use gvinum, because it
>> allows me to buy a cheaper motherboard and use different hard drives.
>> However, gvinum also has disadvantages (cannot mirror the root fs, or it
>> is too difficult and I'm not familiar with vinum...)
>>

> Correct, gvinum has disadvantages, but mirroring the root FS is actually
> pretty easy:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-root.html
>
> gvinum doesn't have all the functionality of the original vinum (yet).  But
> if you're just using RAID-1 (mirroring), why not use gmirror(8)?  From my
> observations, gmirror performs better than hardware mirroring, in general.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-mirror.html

Hmm, this looks good. I only read the vinum man page, I did not know
about gmirror. :-)
I'm going to try this first, because it is easier than gvinum and it
Thank you!

Bottom line: I think I need to read the man pages of geom,vinum and
gmirror several times before I come back again. :-)

Best,

   Laszlo