Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 14:34:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recursive grep

> Terry Lambert writes:
> > The GNU derived find doesn't flush its output, so if you were to pipe
> > it at that point (and use -print instead of a "/dev/null" argument to
> > get the name), you would have your output screwed.
>
> Except that we're not using the GNU derived find, and we've fixed the
> bug in the BSD find you are complaining about a *long* time ago.

1)	If this was used in a shell script, you might want to run
	the same script on a Linux system.

2)	You might install the GNU find for its other features.

3)	The bug was only half-fixed, and then only for the specific
	case that I was dealing with, and still did not enforce
	write order guarantees between stdout and fd 2 in some
	circumstances (a more elaborate patch than the one adopted
	was posted, but was not itself adopted).

> revision 1.5
> date: 1995/09/12 23:15:33;  author: nate;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -0
> Simpler fix to the find bug reported by Terry Lambert
> <terry@lambert.org>
>
> [ Find to a file vs. to stdout ] produces different output because find
> does not flush stdout when doing a -print.
>
> Submitted by:   Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freefall.freebsd.org>
>
> You're even mentioned in the log. :)

I'll put it on my mantle with my many other accolades... 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.