Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:28:29 +1000
From:      Tony Frank <tfrank@eric.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tony.frank@ericsson.com.au
Subject:   Building multiple levels of FreeBSD on one system?

Hi there,

I have the situation where I have several different systems, running several
levels of FreeBSD.

Here's a brief breakdown:
486sx-25: 		FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE
Pentium 100:		FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE
Pentium 166 Laptop: 	FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE
Celeron 400:		FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT

If I'd like to update all these systems through the standard 'make world', I
then have to wait for 5+ days for the 486sx-25, or 2 hours for the Celeron
to do the job.

Since I also have a largish disk on the celeron system, I'd like to have
several versions of the source checked out on this system (no problem there)
 and then do the 'make buildworld' equivalent on the celeron and then NFS
mount the appropriate /usr/src and /usr/obj from the other systems and run
'make installworld' to update.

The problem I have is that when I try to build a lower level, eg 4.1 from the
5.0 system I get build errors like the following:

$ cd /usr2/RELENG_4/src
$ make buildworld >& /var/tmp/make-RELENG_4-buildworld.log &

The error in the logfile when the buildworld fails is:

Running Mkbootstrap for B ()
DynaLoader object version 1.04 does not match $DynaLoader::VERSION 1.03 at /usr/
obj/usr2/RELENG_4/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 80.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/obj/usr2/RELENG_4/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/per
l/lib/ExtUtils/Mkbootstrap.pm line 21.
*** Error code 255

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

--
 Tony Frank                                               _ __  ___ ___ ___
 tfrank@eric.net.au                                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \