Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 13:31:20 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        hm@kts.org, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG

Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> other thing is the reaction or non-reaction in public and private of
> the FreeBSD core team regarding an open letter published on -hackers
> which indicate that it is neither necessary nor worth nor appreciated
> to contribute to FreeBSD and all is fine as long as one shuts up.

Hellmuth,

To put it bluntly, the core team was concerned but more confused
about and by the open letter, but it had little substance we could
actually attach anything to.

It was a little bit like sending a letter to the security council
of the UN telling them that you're concerned about their performance.

There is little they or we can do about our performance, except to
do what we've been doing all along:  our best.

(And we continue to do that of course, open letter or not.)

And belive me, we're concerned about our (and the projects as such)
performance both in particular and specifics, I think we spent more
than 70% of the core-lite meeting time in New Orleans discussing
organizational issues.

If you have specific suggestions for how to improve things in the
FreeBSD project, which doesn't contain language constructs along the
form of "somebody should", then please by all means forward them.

Saying "somebody should" doesn't work unless you can tell somebody
that they're not getting paid unless they realize that "somebody"
is them.  We don't have access to that caliber of management tools
in the FreeBSD project.

Remember "Rough concensus & working code".

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal