Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 23:26:39 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, Mark Hannon <markhannon@optushome.com.au>, bugs-followup@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/32261: dump creates a dump file much larger than sum of dumped files

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 05:10:49PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> "Crist J . Clark" wrote:

> | > |

> | > I haven't used any of them for a while, but there are certainly
> | > Unix systems that treat O_TRUNC as a signal to rewind a tape
> | > device before writing to it.
> |
> | So? Who cares? This is FreeBSD's dump(8) and FreeBSD's write(2). There
> | is no reason to worry about portability of FreeBSD's dump(8) in how
> | write(2) flags work. If our write(2) "does the right thing" with
> | O_TRUNC and tape devices, there is no reason not to let it do the
> | right thing on its own.
>
> That's a rather strange attitude.  All I was suggesting that,
> from the once-respected POLA, it would be less surprising to
> people who might have experience of other systems if FreeBSD did
> not make its own arrangements without some good reason.

From what Ian said elsewhere in this thread, the O_TRUNC already does
not "act strange" on a tape device. I don't see any new POLA issues if
adding O_TRUNC to the write call doesn't change how dump(8) has been
working on tapes for FreeBSD for these n years now. The only POLA
issue I see is the current behavior that "regular" files are _not_
truncated, which was the start of the thread and the issue in the PR.

> There's
> no need for responses like: "So? Who cares?" -- if there's some
> reason not to consider other people, by all means explain it;
> but be polite while you're at it.

I don't see who would care if FreeBSD's dump(8) might have some funny
reactions on UNIX-like systems where O_TRUNC has a different behavior
on tape devices. I don't think the Project is overly concerned about
porting FreeBSD's dump(8) to other OSes.