Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:38:42 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Core GNOME distfiles

On 02/10/02 02:25, "Maxim Sobolev" <sobomax@mail.ru> wrote:
> I think that more formal approach would be better: any port that uses
> MASTER_SITE_GNOME as its primary download location should go into
> DIST_SUBDIR of "gnome". An appropriate HEADS-UP and a conversion shell
> script for those who already have many GNOME1 bits in their
> /usr/ports/distfiles is a must.

Cool.  Max nailed my devils advocate position :)  I'm happy to go for this
-- a number of my current port changes simply revolve around the fact that
MASTER_SITE_GNOME has (finally) caught up with reality on a bunch of ports,
and should therefore be added back in.

> Also a good idea would be extending bsd.gnome.mk in the case when
> $DIST_SUBDIR=="gnome" to check for distfile both in $DISTDIR and
> $DISTDIR/gnome and print a warning that the user should move the
> distfile into $DISTDIR/gnome.

Or even move it automagically?  Want to provide the bsd.gnome.mk foo for
this?

> I object to the massive conversion and would rather see gradual
> switchover, i.e. gzip->bzip2 conversion should be only committed along
> with a version update. Otherwise we will unnecessarily hurt users with
> slow Internet connections (me included).

Jolly good again.  I'd object to it, too, if there wasn't some extra
functionality involved.

So, now that a few heads have been poked, how about:

(1) anything that has MASTER_SITE_GNOME in the MASTER_SITES will be migrated
to the "gnome1/" distfiles subdirectory on next update, or just prior to the
freeze for 4.6-RELEASE, whichever comes first.

(2) anything that uses MASTER_SITE_GNOME and has a bzip2 tarball available
will be migrated to bzip2 on the next update, or just prior to the freeze
for 4.6-RELEASE, whichever comes first.

(3) any and all ports that make up gnome-2 (soon to be committed), will have
their distfiles placed in the gnome2/ subdirectory.

Better?

-aDe