Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:46:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl (Frank Volf)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel memory size

Is there a way to increase the memory size that is allocated by the kernel
to a certain kernel memory pool (is that the correct word?):

I mean, I have

options         VM_KMEM_SIZE="(64*1024*1024)"

in my kernel config file, and it appears that I'm only allowed to use half
of that memory for a certain pool:

# vmstat -m | grep Filter
  16  uc_devlist, p1003.1b, IP Filter, igmp, routetbl, ether_multi, vnodes,
 256  file desc, FFS node, newblk, IP Filter, routetbl, ifaddr, vnodes,
 512  uc_devlist, UFS mount, IP Filter, mount, BIO buffer, ptys, msg,
 32K  VM pgdata, UFS ihash, inodedep, IP Filter, devbuf
    IP Filter   276   158K  23307K 32768K    47735    0     0   16,256,512,32K

Howerver, this box is a dedicated traffic filtering box, and I want to increase
the available kernel memory for this kmalloc category. I grepped in the
source, but apart from the assignment

	type->ks_limit = vm_kmem_size / 2;

in kern_malloc.c, I could not find a place were this limit is increased.

Is it possible to circumvent this?

Frank

BTW: I'm running FreeBSD 4.3