Date:      Tue, 08 Jul 1997 15:20:03 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@zeta.org.au, ache@nagual.pp.ru, peter@spinner.dialix.com.au
Subject:   Re: CVS Branches hits again!

> This is cvsup not being bug-compatible with cvs.  These files really
> were brought back from the dead, but cvs doesn't check them out
> because it left them in the Attic.

Bill is right, but it's even worse than that.  CVS is not even
bug-compatible with CVS.

For example, if you do a "cvs export -D tomorrow src/usr.bin" you
do not get the same files as you get when you do a "cvs co -P
src/usr.bin".  The export command brings back the files that were
erroneously killed on the vendor branch and then followed by a new
import.  "cvs co -P -D tomorrow src/usr.bin" does the same thing,
even though the "-D tomorrow" shouldn't affect which files are
checked out.

Furthermore, if you do a "cvs co -P src/usr.bin" and then

    cd src/usr.bin/bdes
    cvs status bdes.c

it says "Needs Checkout".

> The repository needs to be fixed

Yes, the repository needs to be fixed.  It is a big mess.  People
who are busily importing lite2, please stop until this can be taken
care of.  Or at least trim out the files that have been removed from
our source tree.

I have a "fixed" cvsupd which behaves more like CVS and which will
buy us some time.  As soon as I test it a little bit more, I'll
get it deployed on as many mirrors as I can.  Luckily, the change
is in the server and not in the client.