Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:27:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>
Subject:   Re: Sharp Zaurus sync

Hi,

Sorry for this very late reply of mine in this thread, but
I think this information might be worth ending up in the
archives, in case someone else searches for it, too ...

Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@oldie.sr.se> wrote:
 > Is there any work going on, to sync Sharp Zaurus 5500 to FreeBSD via usb?

It currently is not supported, and won't be (at least not
soon).

Here's some background information.  The Zaurus' USB port
can work in two different modes:

 - In network mode.  This works exactly like one of those
   PC-to-PC USB cables (except that Sharp modified the
   protocol slightly), running TCP/IP directly on top of
   the protocol.  This is the default mode.

   In Linux, the "usbnet" driver supports such PC-to-PC
   USB cables, but because of Sharp's modifications, a
   newer version called "usbdnet" is required.

   As far as I know, FreeBSD does not support any of those
   PC-to-PC USB cables, so a driver would have to be
   written from scratch.

 - In serial mode.  This, in fact, emulates an ucom device.
   It then runs PPP over the serial connection over USB,
   and then TCP/IP on top of that.  This is _not_ the same
   as a native serial connection (which the Zaurus also
   supports, but you have to buy a special serial cable
   first, because it's not included).

   Linux supports that with the "usbserial" driver in
   generic mode.

   FreeBSD supports serial USB adapters, too, however, we
   have got a small problem here.  In FreeBSD, the drivers
   are separated in the frontend driver "ucom" which makes
   the actual serial tty devices, and several backend
   drivers (uplcom, uvscon, uftdi) which support specific
   variants of serial-over-USB protocols by different chip
   vendors.  We do not have a "generic mode" like the Linux
   folks do.  However, I _think_ that one of those backend
   drivers could be talked into accepting the Zaurus' USB
   serial protocol, without too much trouble.  (Or maybe,
   one of them could be even cloned and converted into a
   generic USB-serial driver, like Linux has.)

You can switch the Zaurus between those two modes using the
/etc/usbcontrol script.  There's no GUI for it, so you have
to open a terminal (I recommend installing OpenSSH on the
Zaurus and then make an ssh connection to it, because it's
more convenient).

"/etc/usbcontrol serial" switches to serial/PPP mode,
"/etc/usbcontrol net" switches back to network mode.

So, the bottom line is, it does not work with FreeBSD,
unless someone knowledgeable writes a driver or modifies
an existing one.

HOWEVER -- There are _so_ many ways to connect the Zaurus
to a network or to a PC, that you really should not worry
much about it.  Most of them require buying additional
hardware, though, such as a serial cable, a WaveLAN CF
card, or an Ethernet CF card.  If you've got a notebook
with infrared port, you can also sync via IrDA (you can
use /usr/ports/comms/birda), although that won't be very
fast, I guess.  I haven't tried this.

Personally I decided to buy a FastEthernet CF card for my
Zaurus, which isn't terribly expensive (I found one for
50 Euro at a German online shop).  It's plug&play at its
finest:  Insert the card, connect to switch, configure IP
with the GUI "Internet Wizard", and there you are.  I got
20 MBit/s raw throughput from/to my fileserver at home,
which isn't really bad for a PDA.  ;-)

For more information, I have created a small web page
which lists some of the Zaurus connectivity possibilities,
and which contains some more information:
http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/Zaurus/CF/FE/

Hope that helps.

Oh, by the way, the Sharp Zaurus is a _really_ cool PDA.
I would recommend it to everyone who is looking for a PDA.
Well, it doesn't run BSD, but a Linux-variant known as
Embedix, but it runs quite smoothly, and _much_ better
than WinCE.

Because it's Linux-based, you can run almost any UNIX
software on it (I've installed ssh, sshd, a VNC server,
Python for writing scripts, DooM and Quake and a bunch
of other games, and more).  I _really_ like it.  There's
also a gcc package which runs on the Zaurus, so you can
compile stuff yourself.  And there's a crosscompiler
for Linux/i386 with complete development environment,
but I haven't figured out yet how to run that under
FreeBSD.  (Has anyone tried?)

Regards
   Oliver