Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:19:10 -0800
From:      Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE Sound problems

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 08:50:20PM -0500, Jim Durham wrote:
> I've noticed a couple of problems with sound on KDE on FreeBSD and I was
> wondering if anyone else was having these problems so that I could file a
> bug report with more evidence.
>
> I have a sound recording program I wrote several years ago to record from
> the soundcard to a raw binary file. This works fine with my old
> Soundblaster16 on 4.4-Stable. On my laptop, with an ESS-Maestro3,
> I seem to be missing samples. The recorded file is higher in pitch than
> the original recording, contains "clicks" and records longer than the
> requested time; IE, if you ask for a 10 second duration, you get 14 or 15
> seconds duration. Since the program counts duration by calculating how
> many samples it needs to get from the sound card at the requested scan
> rate, it sounds like it is not able to read the samples at the requested
> rate, therefore it takes longer and compresses the recording, time-wise,
> making the pitch higher.  I tried this same thing with 'gramofile' from
> ports and it does the same .

I wrote a simple C program that does something like what you describe
in it opens /dev/dsp*, sets sample rate, etc and then starts to
spit this out as PCM data via STDOUT.  It works under KDE's artsd.
You can check it out at:

	http://www.lns.com/papers/catdsp/

Tim
--
  Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
               POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247