Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 03:01:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        cjs@cynic.net (Curt Sampson)
Cc:        K.J.Koster@kpn.com (Koster K.J.), phiber@radicalmedia.com (Mark Abene), freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK status?

> > Nate Williams just made a unofficial, off-the-record, speculative
> > pre-announcement on freebsd-java. Basically he says that at JavaOne there
> > should be a happy surprise for Java/FreeBSD people.
>
> Yeah, but this worries me, because where does this leave the NetBSD
> folks? I hope this isn't going to be `FreeBSD gets to join the
> little clique with Linux whilst all other free software is left
> out in the cold.'

This is a very good reason for the BSD camps to standardize on
an ABI sonner rather than later, so that this type of thing
becomes impossible.

BTW: By "impossible", I mean that the ABI standard should be able
to shut _off_ OS specific differences, so that developers do not
depend on them in their code.

That means you could go to the store and get "BSD xxx" or "BSD yyy"
and be able to expect it to work on any BSD platform (assuming the
processor type was the same).

This would also be incredibly attractive to vendors; if anyone has
gone looking at the "Zend" PHP optimizer, they will see that there
is exactly one FreeBSD version and *three* different Linux versions
to account for incompatibilities between Linux distributions.

Let's not do the same to BSD.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---