Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2020 17:39:41 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Michael Tuexen <tuexen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making SCTP loadable and removing it from GENERIC

> On 9 July 2020, at 14:45, Michael Tuexen <tuexen@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On 9. Jul 2020, at 23:15, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
>>=20
>> Actually, the users of these systems would have no clue about that =
message.  All they would figure out is that the system is down and they =
can't do their job and bitch to the CEO.  I am going to assume that that =
error will be produced by the socket call and I have added code to check =
for it and email me if it occurs.  I believe that the only viable =
approach for us is the rc.conf solution as some of these systems are =
rhapsberry pi 3s which I understand don't use the loader.conf file.
> OK. Do you control the kernel which is running on the machines? If =
that is the case,
> you could add a line to the kernel config, rebuild the kernel and use =
that custom
> kernel with compiled-in SCTP support. That is still possible.

As best as I can tell, compiling a non-generic kernel may not be easily =
done.  The Pi's are not located anywhere near me and it would be =
extremely difficult to deal with any kernel issues.  I prefer to live =
with generic kernels.  Life has been much easer since I switched to =
them.

>>=20
>> One of the configurations we are considering is for each user to have =
their own Rhapsberry Pi and eliminate the central server.  All data is =
replicated between all the machines so there is no need for a central =
server anymore.  If I can make that work, it would be a large cost =
savings for my client.
> If that gets rid of the need to use SCTP, that would also work.

SCTP is the heart of the replication system.  I had numerous problems =
trying to get UDP to work.  The record sizes can be up to 28 Mb.  I =
think it is theoretically possible to be even larger, but I have never =
seen any over 28 Mb.  SCTP handles that just fine.  It also handles =
multi-homing which we also use.

-- Doug