Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 1997 09:52:19 -0400
From:      "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@onyx.interactive.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cuaa2 <--?--> sio2?

Hi, people.

My modem (internal) in FreeBSD 2.1.5 is on COM3/cuaa2/sio2. [This is a home,
stand-alone box for personal use.]

I have gone into my config file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf and changed the irq
for sio2 from the default, 5, to 4, which it is in Linux (where I am now, so
if you receive this it works set that way), commented out sio3 since I haven't
anything there anyway, and recompiled. I still get the message with dmesg

   sio2 not found at 0x3e8

and  ppp, dial provider  as per the ppp HOWTO gets me a message that the modem
cannot be reached.

I have cuaa0 through cuaa2 in /dev, but no sio devices at all. But the mouse,
which is on COM2/sio1/cuaa1 is found. I've got nothing on COM1/sio0/cuaa0.

If not in /dev, where do sio devices dwell?

I get the impression that cuaa is used for dial-out, sio for dial-in
communications--if so, do I need sio2 for dialing out via ppp anyway?
Ultimately I would like to have everything working, but for now, as I am
trying to learn UNIX/FreeBSD at this box, dialing out will be enough for
email, internet surfing, etc., downloading software, and generally tooling
around in UNIX/FreeBSD.

I don't quite see what I should try next, or where the apprapos information
may be found. Some guidance would be welcome.

Should I comment out sio1 in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf kernel file? I have
nothing there, but it is sharing irq 4 now.

BTW, in Linux I get this with  " setserial -g -abv /dev/cua* "

   /dev/cua0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
   /dev/cua1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
   /dev/cua2 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

where mouse is on cua1 and modem is on cua2 and nothing is on cua0.

The modem, a Newcom, doesn't tout itself as a pnp modem.

TIA!

Chris
--

Chris Booth