Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:17:17 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Joseph Mallett <jmallett@newgold.net>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Just an observation - MUA's seen in the lists

At 01:52 PM 4/14/2001, Joseph Mallett wrote:

>As time has gone by the Registry has become (little by little) more
>dependable.

Not in my experience. When I debug problems on Windows clients, I find
the Registry to be a more and more tangled web. Subtle problems and
omissions can make the entire system unstable, and there is NO usable
reference to the records and fields within it. It's a nightmare.

Interestingly, Microsoft is now trying to extend the horrible mess to
the entire Net via its "Passport" repository, where it generously offers
to keep all of your private, personal information for you. I'm not even
going to comment on what Microsoft -- being the pristine, supremely
ethical company that it is (Not!), might do with that data.

>People who don't regularly export their registry (by the same
>token, people who don't back up /etc often) are taking the chance, any NT
>administrator who _doesn't_ know that, should _not_ have that job.

Exporting the Registry often does not help. The interactions between
entries are subtle and are the result of accumulated changes.

Configuration information should be carefully partitioned into separate
databases for different applications, users, and system components.
Putting it all in one place is a nightmare.

--Brett