Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:06:17 +0100
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        volker@vwsoft.com
Subject:   Re: installing fbsd from foreign system

Le Sunday 28 January 2007 16:22, Oliver Fromme a écrit :
> Another possibility is to prepare a boot image, i.e. a file
> containing boot sector and a UFS root partition with
> wverything needed for bootstrapping (/boot/loader etc.,
> kernel, base system).  It doesn't have to cover the whole
> disk, it should be just large enough for a base system and
> some support software.  It should contain a script which
> configures the rest of the disk when it's booted (e.g.
> set up remaining disk space, fetch packages from the net,
> whatever).
>
> >From within your Linux deployment process, simply copy
>
> the image to the beginning of the hard disk, then reboot.

Oone good *starting point* is the depenguinator
(http://www.daemonology.net/depenguinator/), which I used some time ago.

There are rough edges, but at least, it gives a way to convert a PC running
some version of Linux to FreeBSD. (in my experience, I had to resort to
manual tweakings to get the final BSD to run).

	TfH

--
Internet users, on the other hand, are perhaps not dealt
with harshly enough; ultimately, the only way to secure the