Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 06:31:38 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Address to reach human operator regarding problems with list?

> freebsd-questions-owner@... is correct, except that to my knowledge
> there isn't really a moderator for freebsd-questions (it's an open list
> that anyone can post to without having to be a member) and that address
> ultimately gets dealt with by postmaster@freebsd.org.

> The message you got about "held for moderation" is standard boiler-plate
> from mailman, and probably not appropriate for your specific circumstances.

> On the whole though, you shouldn't need to contact anyone about the
> warning you received.   It generally occurs when your mail system
> rejects messages from the freebsd-questions@... list as spam.  As there
> is a certain amount of spam that does appear on the list, this is an
> absolutely legitimate practice: trouble is, it's hard for the FreeBSD
> mail system to distinguish deliberate non-acceptance of spam from
> accidental non-acceptance of traffic due to a broken mailer.

> Mailman has an adaptive system that scores you based on how many rejects
> you generate in a certain time period.  If you log into mailman at eg.
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/options/freebsd-questions
> you can see your current score.  Mine is currently 2.0 (out of 5.0) and
> has been about that for quite some time.  So long as your score is not
> too large, I wouldn't worry about the message you received.  Even if
> your score does go over the threshold, you can just use that same
> interface to re-enable delivery.

> Cheers,

> Matthew

> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.

I contacted my Internet service provider, Insight Cable, about the problem, and they need a copy of any message that bounces, so they can see what went awry.

So I can't just ignore the problem.

Maybe I should resend the message to postmaster@freebsd.org instead of freebsd-questions-owner@freebsd.org?