Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:35:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is the CD driver supposed to attach() now regardless of media?

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote...
> One thing which also confuses some people is that sysinstall attempts
> to mount the CD itself - it doesn't like it if you've already got the
> CD mounted someplace else; it *must not* be mounted before you run
> sysinstall or you'll wind up with an attempted double-mount situation.

I just looked through sysinstall a little bit, and I think I have an idea
of what might be going on.  Jordan, you can probably tell me if I'm off
base.

It looks like that as soon as sysinstall starts up, it scans for available
devices, by just opening them.

Of course if you don't have media in your CDROM drive, you can't open the
device.

Anyway, the results of the scan seem to be cached, which may be what's
hitting John when he boots without a CD in the drive.  sysinstall doesn't
"see" his CDROM drive because it can't open it.

Does that ring any bells?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry