Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        twinkle.star@263.net, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inquire(second time)

> The need to exclusively access the I/O bus is one of the main
> factors sited for the developing RAMBus technology coming from
> major vendors.

You had better go sit in the corner and think about that real
real real hard.  RAMBus technology in no way effects exclusive
access to the I/O bus.  That is purely in the domain of the
CPU / IO bridge chip, and no place near the CPU / Memory controller
bridge chip.

The main factor driving RAMBus and other fast memory technologies
is the fact that our CPU cores are now running in production at 2
to 4 times the data rate of the fastest memory system designs in
production.  And thats for a single CPU design.  The problem of
CPU demand vs memory bandwidth is only aggrevated, and thusly
requireing a faster memory subsystem, by SMP.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Design Engineer, HAWK/32, aka MIL MV8000, etc seq memory systems