Date:      Thu, 9 Feb 1995 08:53:44 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Please?  Whine..  Sup project..

> ever looked at how horribly inefficient sup is at this kind of thing! ;(
> It takes very bad advantage of low bandwidth lines

It took me 5 hours to sync up my tree with a 14.4K line running with no
compression.  (The sup ran with compression, the phone line wasn't tuned
at the time and MNP compression was turned off)

> (look at your modem
> sometime - very poor utilization!) by not batching transfers and there's
> no true checksumming of files.

What do you mean by 'not batching transfers'?

> 	1) It has to be trustworthy (md5)

Agreed, this is it's biggest problem IMHO.  However, adding cksumming to
the files will ADD overhead.  Currently, it is very difficult to screw
up sup *IF* everything works right.  SUP relies on TCP/IP to do all the
data checking, and if something gets screwed up on either end it doesn't
know about it.

> 	2) It has to make optimum use of available bandwidth (fast)

With my compression patches, it does a pretty good job.

> 	3) It has to make minimal demands on the server (not murder freefall)

> 	4) It has to be easy to set up.

This could be improved, but right now things are fairly trivial to
setup.  Agreed, the client side might be easier to setup, but that should be
fairly easy to fix.  The host-side complexity doesn't need to change since
it works fairly well and once it's setup, it's easy to modify.

Nate