Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:28:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MTRR stuff

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > For some video cards (to wit, the voodoo stuff), the MTRRs should be set up as
> > follows
> >
> >    write-combining
> >  +----------------------------------------------------------+
> >  +-------+
> >   uncacheable
> >
> > i.e. the two regions have the same starting area, but the small chunk for the
> > registers should be uncacheable. When I try to do this using memconf on my
> > K6-2, it spits the dummy. Is there a work around for this?
>
> The i686 MTRR implementation, at least, doesn't allow UC to overlap WC;
> only Write-back and uncached are allowed to overlap.  I don't know what
> the K6's limitations are; you should talk to Brian Feldman about that.

As long as a range isn't exactly the same (base, len being the same), it
allows the change. The question is how does it fail? I let the hardware
decide what to actually do with the registers, but I write them, so...
I need to know where the problem is.

> --
> \\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\    -- Joseph Merrick           \\  msmith@cdrom.com

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/