Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 1995 01:57:21 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@aries.ibms.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS-L <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: IRC client (contd.)

On Fri, 14 Apr 1995, Plyaskin Sergey wrote:

> Right now, my FreeBSD box (Host3) cannot use DNS on Host2 for some reason. I
> have pointed to Host2 as my name server and configured /etc/resolv.conf. It
> does not work anyway. I can't directly access, let's say irc2.mit.edu, even
> if I have the entry for it in my host table.

    Does an "nslookup irc-2.mit.edu" work?  You may not be able to
connect to irc-2.mit.edu from inside the firewall because it is likely
configured to refuse connections on most ports and more than likely on
all ports above 1024 (IRC is on 6667).

> I believe I should have some
> port open (6667?) on Host2 or some kind of "IRC proxy", or something else
> (?) to allow for communication. Any ideas? Thanks.

    Hmmmm... I never used IRC on or behind a firewall... it's
considered a rather large security hole by most.  Can you telnet to
your host outside the firewall and IRC from there?
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org