Date:      03 Jan 2000 03:01:50 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: @home cable modem installation using dhcp on freebsd

Daniel L Quigley-Skillin <dskillin@totalconnect.net> writes:

> @Home actually needs the host name of the machine to issue it an IP
> address. I tried to get this information a couple of days ago to help out,
> but you know how things go.  :/
>
> >From here you have two options.
>
> First:	Find out your stack info and set the stack static.  <---  My
> favorite option as @Home doesn't switch your IP very often, in fact, my IP
> has never changed in 3 years.
>
> Second: Invoke dhcp using the -h flag.  Similar to this.
>
> /sbin/dhcpcd -h CRxxxxxx-A -c /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdhcpc-done eth0

I didn't know dhcpcd was ported to FreeBSD. In any case, my stock
3.4-R system doesn't have it, and it is not in ports. I'd assume that
the original poster's system doesn't have it either.

> CRxxxxxx-A being your propper host name, given by @Home.  Your script
> locations may vary, but you get the main point of it.

A correction -- client ID, not host name. @home's hostnames are in
form crxxx.wave.tor.on.home.com, while client ids are in form that you
quoted.

> You should be able to get your host name and or stack info from the member
> services page in the @Home content.
>
> I'd only use the dhcp option if you really feel you have to.  @Home DHCP
> servers are know to die.

I've heard about this too. Although, in my 4 months with @home I've
never had problems with their dhcp servers. In any case, if dhclient
cannot obtain a lease from a server, it automatically tries to fall
back to last IP that it had before -- pretty fail-safe feature.
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who