Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 2015 16:21:57 +0000
From:      Dangling Pointer <danglingpointer@outlook.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: git diff encoding issue when running via Hyper-V

Thanks guys.

Here is what I have found:

# cat ~/.login_conf
me:\
        :charset=3DUTF-8:\
        :lang=3Den_US.UTF-8:

I created this file then logged back in and ran:

# locale

LANG=3Den_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=3D

# echo "This is ^[[31mred^[[m text."

prints red colored "red" text. :)

# git diff &1> ../blah.txt

# cat ../blah.txt

shows:

[...]

-setup_dirs()
+setup_dirs2()

[...]

but

# git diff

still emits the mangled output on stdout.

The delete-key solution resolved my issue. Thanks a bunch Polytropon!

> Date: Wed=2C 30 Sep 2015 17:54:36 +0200
> From: freebsd@edvax.de
> To: danglingpointer@outlook.com
> Subject: Re: git diff encoding issue when running via Hyper-V
> CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>=20
> On Wed=2C 30 Sep 2015 15:27:23 +0000=2C Dangling Pointer wrote:
>> Thanks Polytropon for your reply.
>> I am seeing this issue with these image as are (by only installing `git`=
 and no other alterations made to the OS whatsoever):
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/VM-IMAGES/10.2-RELEASE/amd64/=
Latest/FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-amd64.vhd.xz.ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/=
releases/VM-IMAGES/10.1-RELEASE/amd64/Latest/FreeBSD-10.1-RELEASE-amd64.vhd=
.xz.=20