Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:34:09 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        ptitoliv <ptitoliv@frenchsuballiance.cjb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Main differences between RELEASE_X and RELEASE_X_Y branches

On Monday 06 December 2004 01:18 pm, ptitoliv
<ptitoliv@frenchsuballiance.cjb.net> wrote:
> >No, except that RELEASEs eventually are dropped from being officially
> >supported. 3.x is no longer supported. Chances are 3.x is not very
secure,
> >due to new threats which haven't been patched to it since it was
dropped,
> > but 4.x is good for a while even though 5.3 is the new RELEASE.
>
> Hi again everybody,
>
> First, I want to thank you all the mailing list memebrs who have
> answered to my questions. The BSD Tree is more explicit for me now :)
> But I have a little last question :-). I am now in FreeBSD 4.9
> RELEASE-p11 and I would want to now if it is necessary to upgrade it
> 4.10 because 4.9 is no longer supported anf if it is safe ?

In general it's a good idea to upgrade when your RELEASE version is
dropped from support, but it depends on how you're using the machine,
what specific vulnerabilities are addressed in newer RELEASEs, and
whether or not you actually need what's provided by upgrading. Some
people are still happily (and sometimes relatively securely) running
4.9, while many others have upgraded. As far as the specific
differences between 4.9 and 4.10, I'm honestly not sure (have only used
5.x myself), but you could check out the archives of the -questions
list to see what people were encountering while doing such an upgrade: