Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:07:56 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why I hate RealTek ethernet cards

After much to-ing & fro-ing ealier this year, I ended up using a Realtek on an
otherwise respectable machine. For the most part it seemed alright. Then just
before I went on an extended overseas trip 7 weeks ago, it started doing odd
things. Small transfers worked OK, but larger ones just trickled through. The
effect was immediately observable with tcpblast. Once you sent a number of 1k
blocks that was over the tcp_sendspace & tcp_recvspace limits, the transfer
rate dropped dramatically. Adjusting the tcp_sendspace etc parameters affected
when this would happen. UDP seemed quite happy (thank goodness for that, as
otherwise NFS would've gone down the drain)

Anyway, there were NetGear cards going cheap, so I replaced the Realtek with
that and all is well.

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California