Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 2020 15:55:49 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        YUAN RUI <number201724@me.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C1's latency is still way too high for our latency-sensitive deployment

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 09:29:02PM +0800, YUAN RUI via freebsd-arch wrote:
> C1's latency is still way too high for our latency-sensitive deployment
> I want a generic interface that allows applications to prevent entering deep
> C-state
>

> Similar:
>
> linux api:https://access.redhat.com/articles/65410
So what do you want that we do not provide ?
There is cpu idle spin method that you can switch to, using
machdep.idle sysctl.

> windows api:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/timeapi/nf-timeapi-timebeginperiod

There is no mention that windows HALs tie timer precision with Cx latency.
That said, FreeBSD has a knob kern.timecounter.alloweddeviation, that specifies
how much precision is taken when setting up process timers or when sleeping
by explicit user request.