Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 19:21:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        wilson@VNET.IBM.COM (Jeff Wilson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Color on PCVT Console?

>From the keyboard of Jeff Wilson:
>
> There was a question recently about how to get color to work.  The answers
> mentioned looking at vidcontrol, and ncurses.  These are fine and good, but
> I have a Color IBM ThinkPad which uses type 2 scan codes for its keyboard.
> So, I am forced to use the PCVT console driver, since it supports type 2
> scan codes.  However, vidcontrol, and ncurses colors do not work with PCVT.
>
> Is there any way to use color on PCVT?

Vidcontrol is the syscons way of configuring syscons, it does not work for
pcvt.

For pcvt you have an own set of control programs, for your purposes i'd
recommend you have a look at the man page for scon(1).

Also i recommend having a look into the pcvt documentation to be found in
the directory /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc/Doc.

For ways of how to specify colors and what is possible, i'd like you to
uudecode and gunzip the file /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/demo/colors.vt.gz.uu,
and then execute "cat /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/demo/colors.vt".

Ncurses colors do not work with pcvt because there is no standard way
of specifying colors in a termcap entry available (see termcap(5)).
I am too lazy to find out how ncurses wants it, but you are free to do so.
There should be no problem in modeling the color additions the way it
is done in cons25 and add it to the pcvt termcap entry to make ncurses
support colors for pcvt. ( ... and don't forget to send me a copy :-) )

Hope this helps a bit,
hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe