Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:33:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: xbatt or other indicators for the Thinkpad 600E?

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Gary Kline wrote:

 > On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:11:55PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:

[..]

 > > Also, is APM being probed at boot time? You should see something like:
 > > apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
 > > apm0: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
 > > very early in the boot. I don't build APM into the kernel but add:
 > > apm_load="YES"
 > > to /boot/loader.conf, but it should be fine in the kernel.
 >
 > 	The only 'BIOS'-related probe I see involves the PCI->PCI
 > 	bridge.  When the system boots I get complaints about a
 > 	missing /dev/apm; and an expected string about apmd.

Just a thought - is APM enabled (or able to be disabled) in the BIOS?

 > > Make sure that ACPI is disabled and apm enabled in /boot/device.hints.
 > > hint.apm.0.disabled="0"
 > > hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
 > > hint.apm.0.flags="0x20"
 > >
 > > If ACPI starts up, APM won't. These hints entries take care of both
 > > issues.
 >

 > 	Ah, the acpi.0.disabled was set to false.  This was
 > 	probably the culprit.  I just set it to "1".

Hopefully that will fix it.  APM works fine on my Compaq Armada 1500c
(on 4.5-R) as long as APCI is switched off in BIOS.

As an aside, I tried mailing you off-list about this yesterday, and got:

... while talking to ns1.thought.org.:
>>> MAIL From:<smithi@nimnet.asn.au> SIZE=1204
<<< 550 5.0.0 <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>... No SPAM
554 <kline@tao.thought.org>... Service unavailable

.. so I guess your spam filter is maybe targetting .au ?  Sorry to
mention this on-list, but you probably wouldn't see it otherwise.

Cheers, Ian