Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:58:58 +0000
From:      mike karthauser <mikek@brightstorm.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   still having problems with bridging

Hi,
We are running a FreeBSD box on a pII 400Mhz processor. The box is set up to
bridge between our adsl router and ethernet switch using a 100/10BaseT card
on the network side and a 10BaseT sitting on the router side..

This kernel was rebuilt yesterday at this time:
#kiop@wiredmedia.co.uk 4.2-STABLE #3: Mon Feb 19 14:51:39
Prior to the build we were getting timeouts, although the box was rebooting.
At one time I caught the following message -

#Fault trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
#fault virtual address = 0xc0684000
#fault code = supervisor write, page not present
#instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc02244fd
#stack pointer = 0x10:0xc027aeda
#frame pointer = 0x10:0xc027aee0
#code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
#             = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
#processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
#current process = Idle
#interrupt mask = net
#trap number = 12
#panic = page fault

After the rebuild the crashing stopped but instead of this we now have a
situation where the BSD box cannot see the outside world although we can
ping machines on the inside of the network. If we try to ping the router we
get 100% packet loss, although the bridging is still functioning and not
effecting our internet connectivity.

We are aware of the recent bridging code ammendments and have cvsupped prior
to kernel rebuild and wonder whether anyone is experiencing any similar
quirks/crashes..

I have also started getting
#kiop /kernel: ed0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 10

Which may be related. The ed0 is the 10baseT card and was new 3 weeks ago.

Please reply in idiot speak as I am a web designing (i)Mac user ;-) who has
recently added FreeBSD to the list of things I am trying to use/learn in
work.

cheers
mikek
---