Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:31:03 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: subscribe

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 03:25:32AM +0200, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> This seems to happen very often lately....
>
> Quoting the handbook:
> include
>
>     subscribe <listname> [<optional address>]

As I'm sure everyone cares what I think about this  :)

Seriously, I co-moderate a few newbie Linux lists and have made a faq
for them.  I have several stock messages that I'll insert in an answer,
depending upon their offence, but basically coming down to, you received
a link to a faq when you joined this list, your question is answered
there, blah blah.

Today, with a bit of reluctance, I added the question, as it's become a
Frequently Asked one of how does one get to a command prompt.

I think that MS has made some poor marketing decisions, and this is
pushing a lot of people to try Linux and *BSD.  Some of these people
simply run into problems because, for example, they go to
www.freebsd.org and English isn't their first language, and perhaps
their language isn't listed.

Some are well-meaning and just need to be taught. And some, of course,
are just plain lazy.

Computers are becoming more and more common, and therefore, there is
going to be an influx of less computer-literate people.  I suppose this
discussion belongs on advocacy, but anyway, that's my answer to your
question.  :)  As computer use grows, the number of less computer
literate folks who use one also grows.  As MS becomes more unpopular,
and people look for alternatives, the number of folks who know very
little but try to use Linux or *BSD increases.  We can throw up our
hands in disgust, welcome all of them, or try to deal with it as
individuals on a case by case basis.  How we deal with it is DEFINITELY
a question for advocacy rather than questions, but...

Anyway, sorry for a bit of a waste of bandwidth, but it is a subject
that has been on my mind lately.

--
Scott

Willow: Diana, Hecate, I hereby license thee to depart.
Goddess of creatures great and small, I conjure thee to withdraw
Amy: (squeak)
Buffy: Maybe we should get her one of those wheel thingies.