Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:13:36 +0530
From:      dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
Cc:        Philip Herron <redbrain@gcc.gnu.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using lex in a shared library

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org> wrote:
>>Automake will auto-handle Lex and Yacc files too. And is extremely portable.
>
> You are joking, right?
>
> Of all the supposedly "portable" build environment tools I've used,
> GNU autotools is by far the slowest, most bloated and least portable.
> And when you run into problems, you are faced with trying to follow
> hundreds of KB of opaque shellscript and obfuscated makefiles.
>

>From my experience, CMake is the best and hope it gets adopted more
widely. I agree the initial effort of getting a cmake based build
environment will take sometime but going forward, maintaining it is
lot simpler when you care about portability.

I do not work for kitware nor anyway involved with cmake apart from
being a happy user. Quite a few large projects are moving to cmake.

-dhruva