Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 09:21:54 -0600
From:      "Brian McCloskey" <bmccloskey@leader-group.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: graphics card recommendations...

You can get a Millennium II 8MB AGP bus card, though as some people have
stated, the increase in performance won't be that great since manufactures
are still working on the standards for this new trend.  The main difference
on AGP is a dedicated bus.  This alone should increase your graphics speed
due only to the fact that you don't have to contend with other traffic on
your PCI bus.

Jose M. Alcaide wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm configuring a new system for running FreeBSD. I have chosen
> all its components, except the graphics card. My first choice
> was the Matrox Millennium II 8 MB, but my local dealer says
> that this card only exists for PCI; only the Millennium II 4MB
> is available for AGP bus.
>
> Now, I'm reconsidering my choice of graphics card, so I would be
> very grateful for any recommendations. I know that there are
> graphics adapters better than the Millennium II, but the Xfree86's
> driver for this card has very good reputation. I'm searching
> for a good card _very well_ supported by Xfree86.
>
> Cheers,
> -- JM
> Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
> Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
> Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
> Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-944647700 x2624
> 48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139

Brian McCloskey             | Leader Group
Consultant                  | 5200 DTC Parkway
 ph: 303-773-9700           | Suite 500
fax: 303-773-9610           | Englewood, CO 80111