Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 16:19:33 -0700
From:      Nick Barkas <nick@b0rked.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems booting 4.3-RELEASE on 164LX

Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but I'm new to this list
(and new to dealing with alphas).  I recently installed 4.3-RELEASE on
an 164LX 533 MHz Alpha machine (can't remember the exact number of the
CPU) with a Seagate ST39102LW SCSI drive holding the root filesystem.
The installation went through without any problems (booted from floppies
and did an ftp install), but after the system is installed it simply will
not boot.  I specified:

boot dka0 (the device name for my Seagate drive)

From the SRM console, and I get the following output:

(boot dka0.0.0.9.0 -flags 0)
block 0 of dka0.0.0.9.0 is a valid boot block
reading 15 blocks from dka0.0.0.9.0
bootstrap code read in
base = 200000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 1e00
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at 3ffee000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code

and from there the system hangs for several minutes.  I hear disk
activity, but I do not get anything back on the console for several
minutes.  Eventually, this is spit out on my screen:

I/O request to dka0.0.0.9.0 is invanlid (check type, offset, and size)

halted CPU 0

halt code = 2
kernel stack not valid halt
PC = af0000000848bf24

Right back to the start.  This error looks to me like a possible
disk geometry problem, but I had no problems with partitioning
that drive and I know it funcitoned without any issues in other
machines running different OS'.  Also, I'm uncertain if its
possible to specify disk geometry within the alpha SRM console.
I also tried specifying the location of the kernel and some flags
for it from the SRM console like so:

boot dka0 -file kernel -flags s

and had the same issues.

If anyone has any ideas on a fix (such as possibly a way to
reinstall loader, fix the drive geometry, or boot FreeBSD from
a floppy I'd greatly appreciate the assistance.

--
Nick Barkas
nick@b0rked.org