Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 20:36:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.loral.com>
To:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ups C++ source - where do I put it?

A couple of items...
 1> ups 3.7 is a major redesign of ups. It uses the gdb libraries to do
much of the low level stuff. This is Mark Russell's work. ups 3.7.???
should be available at:
     unix.hensa.ac.uk
     /pub/misc/unix/ups/ups-3.7-alpha.tar.Z
This system is *very* slow (my xfer rate was 0.29k / sec with some
disconcerting pauses that lasted for minutes.

 2> Yes 2.45.2 is an old release. But that does not mean that it is not
it a very good product. Rod Armstrong has been using it as a baseline
for the C++ enhancements for some years.

 3> I have put together the following:
     ups-2.45.2.tar.gz    // baseline source
     changes.gz           // recent C++ patches
     contrib-manpage      // duh!
     README               // description of changes and install instructions

 Now how do I put it in an available location. I tried to do a 'put' into
/pub/FreeBSD/incoming with no success.
 4> There is an interesting item concerning ups 3.7 for the Sun Solaris
system. Mark Russell works at the University of Cambridge in Kent
England. There has been enough interest in ups for Solaris, that someone
organized a fund into which 6 people donated $1000 each. This fund was
used to 'buy' Mr. Russell's time to do the port. The final result will
still be a net product, but an interesting concept. Sort of like
pre-shareware.

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |