Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 20:22:32 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        msmith@gsoft.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Psst!  TurboVision?

Did you get a chance to look at this?  I've been playing with it for
the last 24 hours and I'm *sold*!  I was even able to compile all the
DOS TurboVision examples from my copy of "Effective Borland C++
examples" - it's pretty slick!  Creating menus with this thing is
definitely a big win.  I'm already diving in to do SOS (Son Of
Sysinstall)'s top screens in it, and the interesting varieties of
interaction I'm going to be able to do with it *FAR* exceeds what's
possible with libdialog.  I really like it.

Oh yeah, the ALT key also works fine in VTY mode - it's only in an
xterm that you can't use it (which means we're still OK for the
installation).  It would still be nice to make it work with moused,
but that comes later (moused's not even enabled in our standard
install anyway).

I wish we were using itcl as our default base, of course - it'd be a
lot easier to maintain their OOP framework through that mechanism than
it's going to be in TCL.  The only way I see it working now is that
we'll write set of C++ derived classes for doing sysinstall-ish stuff
and with the kinds of data structures encountered more often in that
context, then we write the TCL->C++ goop for interfacing to those
classes.  I don't see any reason to implement the entire TurboVision
API in TCL unless it's for the manifest purpose of providing those
components for further extention, and TCL is bad at that (hence the
reference to [incr tcl] :-).

Ah well!

I've committed it as a port under devel, just to make it easier to
sync up with it.

I really don't see anything better coming down the pike, and there
doesn't seem to be a serious groundswell of support for the HTML
approach (for which I still admittedly still have reservations
myself).  I think this is it.  This is our CUI.  Now we just need to
design the back-end. :-)

Comments?

					Jordan