Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 1995 05:28:52 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.DIALix.COM>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rmail and brain-dead mail systems .. patch enclosed

In freebsd.current you write:

>As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>>
>> You all do realize that our rmail sources come with sendmail:

>Yes, of course.

>> And if you have problems with rmail they should be sent to Eric...
>
>The problem is rmail itself, and its idea of insisting on From_.  I
>don't know which ancient environment Eric has been designing this
>for... i assume he might have had a reason for it, but for all
>"modern" environments, /bin/rmail can safely be replaced by sendmail.
>
>Perhaps configurations where only old UUCP mailers communicate
>together (without intervening RFC-822 mailers) might be the cause,
>perhaps there's no From: line then so From_ will be important.

If you drop the From_ line, how do you communicate the envelope sender
address?

It's most definately needed... For example, when you send email to
(say) current@freebsd.org, the envelope sender is
"owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org" which happens to be aliased to
"mailman".   If your uucp mailer cannot tell the mail system to send
all 90 bounces/deferred messages to jmb, instead of the "From:
joerg@...", then you'd get pretty annoyed pretty quick.. :-)

You can only replace rmail with sendmail if you can get all of your
neighbors to call your rmail as "rmail -f envelope_sender -oMrUUCP
envelope_recipient" - they may as well just be allowed to call
sendmail directly...

-Peter