Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:49:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Emmanuel Duros <Emmanuel.Duros@sophia.inria.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC 1323 - How to make it work ?

Hi,

I am trying to get speed improvement using RFC 1323 to download files
via a satellite link without much success(!).

I have 2 FreeBSD (2.2.7) boxes (bsd 1 and bsd 2) which are connected via
a broadcast satellite link and an Ethernet LAN.

            satellite link  6Mbps
       --------->------------>------------>----------
       |                                            |
    -------                                      -------
    |bsd 1|                                      |bsd 2|
    -------                                      -------
       |                                            |
            Ethernet LAN 10Mbps

Routing is configured in such way:

  - bsd 1 sends packets to bsd 2 via the sat link
  - bsd 2 send packets to bsd 1 vian the LAN

The RTT is about 270ms.

When downloading a file (client is bsd 1 and server is bsd 2), the
maximum data rate I have been able to get on this topology is
50-60 Kbytes/s.

And this, whatever the value of net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 (0,1) on both
freebsd boxes. When I change the value net.inet.tcp.rfc1323, it seems
that nothing really happens.

I am pretty sure I could get a much better data rate than this...

Am I doing anything wrong ? I also played with net.inet.tcp.rfc1644
without success.

Any help will be very much appreciated !

Thanks
Emmanuel Duros