Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 02:05:08 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates panics

On Sep 27,  2:43pm, Peter Wemm wrote:
} Ollivier Robert wrote:
} > According to Don Lewis:
} > > I hadn't heard this.  I don't know why that would be true.
} >
} > I remember people getting panics when running noatime with SU. I've got a
} > few myself (although they were more unstable than now).
}
} I thought it was async that was causing the problems.  One of the main
} problems was that softupdates was doing a 'write everything' FSYNC vnode op
} and expecting all modified data to be written out.  The async mount option
} "broke" the semantics of fsync() so that it didn't really wait until
} everything was on disk, so softupdate's sanity checks caught it.

That makes more sense.  It doesn't seem to make sense to use both softupdates
and async.