Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 12:22:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mariusz Potocki <potok@friko.onet.pl>
To:        Michael Porter <ocean@wavefront.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Keyboard extention keys

On 11-Nov-97 Michael Porter wrote:
>After spilling tea on my old keyboard, I bought another.  This one has
>keys on the side (about 15 or so) for quick functions like the
>CD-player, etc.  This is configurable under the Win95 software.  Of
>coarse I don't run Win95, I run FreeBSD, so I'm wondering if there's any
>way I could use these things.  I really doubt anyone has a driver for it
>now, as it seems to be a rather recent trend, but, can anyone suggest
>what I could do?  "Writing a driver" isn't an answer (for me)  The only
>way I'd be able to is if I had a template of some sort to follow.
>Thanks,
>
>Michael Porter
>ocean@wavefront.com
>port0095@tc.umn.edu

Below is some example from this mailing list.
Remember about http://www.freebsd.org/search.html
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Larry S. Marso said:

> How do I reprogram a Windows95 key on my laptop to act as the Cntrl key?
>
> --
> Larry S. Marso
> lsmarso@panix.com

I'll assume that you are running X.

You'll have to figure out what it's keycode is.  Use xev(1) to find
out.  Run xev and tap the key.  You should get about four lines of
text including what the keycode is.  Then, try
        xmodmap - << DONE
          keycode xxx = Control_L
          add control = Control_L
          DONE

Where xxx is the keycode.  If the key is on the right hand side of the
keyboard, you should probably use Control_R instead of Control_L.  All
the other Control keys should still work.

Mariusz

        "verba volant,
                scripta manent"