Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 07:14:58 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel support for memory semaphores/locks...

John S. Dyson wrote:

> > Was this added for compatability with another system?
> >
> It was added to support some threads work.

I think that yield() needs to be replaced by the sched_yield() that
Peter has coded. We are not currently building libc support for yield().

Any POSIX compatible threads work needs to use sched_yield(). yield()
polutes the user's name space, so it should be renamed before being
built into libc.

I'd like to see any new syscalls named with leading underscores from
now on and a weak symbol for the name that the user is allowed to
re-define.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137