Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2013 22:16:15 -0300
From:      Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Progress on Raspberry Pi

On 20 September 2013 21:49, George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com> wrote:

> My AdaFruit serial cable arrived, so now I can gather useful information
> when my RPi crashes (which is still happening fairly often as I try to
> build print/cups, having started five days ago and still not having
> gotten through ghostscript).
>
> I built my image with crochet on an amd64 running r255361, and the image
> itself is based on that version.  (However, in sys/arm/arm I updated
> pmap-v6.c to 255612 and stdatomic.c to 255613.  I see they have been
> updated again within the last day; perhaps I should try again.)
>
> /etc/src.conf:
> MALLOC_PRODUCTION=yes

MALLOC_PRODUCTION=yes is just a workaround for the RPi problem, in a ideal
world (where everything works) we  wouldn't need to set it.

> /etc/make.conf:
> WITH_PKGNG=yes
> MALLOC_PRODUCTION=yes
> # added by use.perl 2013-08-20 10:11:49
> PERL_VERSION=5.14.4
>
> I commented out the five syscons-related lines in sys/arm/conf/RPI-B so
> I could use the serial port.  My SDHC card is apparently on the hairy
> edge of working, so I definitely needed /boot/loader.conf to contain:
> hw.bcm2835.sdhci.hs=0.  Before I added that, I ended up with the dreaded
> error 19 and a manual mountroot prompt, at which point mountroot would
> accept a character from the serial input about 1/4 of the time.  Other
> serial input works without a problem.

Can you check if the patch on arm/179688 (
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=arm/179688) fix the mountroot
input problem for you ?

> Before I remembered to comment out the /dev/ttyvN lines in /etc/tty, I
> naturally saw getty errors on the nonexistent devices, but I would also
> randomly get an "Interrupted system call" on /dev/ttyu0, followed by a
> long pause, followed (finally) by a login prompt.  After I commented out
> the ttyvN lines, the "Interrupted system call" error on /dev/ttyu0 went
> away.

This is added by crochet, isn't ? (boards/RaspberryPi/overlay/etc/ttys)

> Questions:
>
> 1. Do we have any sort of a memory test for the RPi?  It seems unlikely
> that I have a hardware problem, but I would like to rule it out.

> 2. Now that I can do something when I get the prefetch abort or panic,
> what should I do at the "db>" prompt to help debug it?  It's happening
> about five or six times a day.

We have a known bug that triggers under heavy load (during builds):
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=arm/182060

We need to check (now that gcc builds should be working again for arm) if
there is any difference between the builds with clang and gcc, oabi and
eabi.

Thanks,
Luiz