Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:02:43 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Jason Hunt <jhunt@blaz.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw troubles..

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 11:28:55AM -0600, Jason Hunt wrote:
> hello,
>
> I am having a little trouble with my rules that I don't
> fully understand.  I have the following in my ipfw rules
> but its not working the way I would expect:
>
> # Allow ICQ Server Packets
> add allow tcp from any 5190 to any via xl0
>
> # Allow ICQ Client-to-Client communications
> add allow tcp from any 1024-65535 to any 1024-65535 in recv xl0
>
> my firewall has xl0 connected to cable modem, and xl1 is connected
> to local lan.  Machines behind the firewall can not access icq
> though, or some other services.  How can I basically allow
> everything that can get to the firewall through to my lan?

Go to Yahoo!. Search for 'icq firewall.' The first link is,

  http://www.icq.com/icqtour/firewall/

In there you will find,

  http://www.icq.com/icqtour/firewall/netadmin.html

Now, go look at the bottom of the page where they make the little
caveat about, ugh, "IP-Masquerading" (known as NAT to the civilized
world). That's you. That's why it does not all work. It is not a
open-closed firewall ports issue.