Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:46:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        cao@bus.net (Chuck O'Donnell)
Cc:        gibbs@pluto.plutotech.com, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error messages from bt driver

Chuck O'Donnell wrote...
> On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 05:44:29PM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> > >Thanks for the reply Justin.
> > >
> > >I tried 5.06I from the Mylex site, but no improvement. Same error
> > >messages show up. Any thoughts on other things I can check?
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> > >
> > >Chuck
> >
> > One thing I don't know about on the MultiMasters is how they deal
> > with a disk returning queue full status.  Your Seagate will only
> > handle 64 commands at a time, but we've queued up 191 to the
> > Buslogic.  Perhaps it will not release the mailbox for a transaction
> > that is in the queue full state?  This would cause the first error
> > message to occur.  My guess is that a quirk entry in sys/cam/cam_xpt.c
> > limiting the number of tags for your drive to 64 will prevent the
> > problem from happening.
>
> Okay, it looks like that did the trick. I reinstalled the original
> flash bios (5.07B), edited sys/cam/cam_xpt.c (see attached diffs for
> quirk entry below), and rebuilt the kernel.
>
> I don't know if there is a good known way to overload the queue for
> testing, but since the daily script seems to be a repeatable way to
> trigger the problem, I have been using it as a test by running it 10
> times consecutively.
>
> Q: Is there any way to query the driver to find out how many tags are
> currently enabled for the drive? e.g., a camcontrol(8) option or some
> such? After I rebuilt the kernel and rebooted I couldn't tell for sure
> if the drive inquiry data had matched my new quirk entry and correctly
> adjusted the queue size for the drive.

Yes, I've got some camcontrol mods that will do that for you.  Grab the
patches from here:

http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~ken/camcontrol.diffs.031499

Type 'camcontrol tags -n da -u 4' (where "4" is the unit number of the disk
in question) to find out how many tags are allowed for that device.

camcontrol tags -v will give you more detailed information.

> Attached below is a diff for the quirk, can you take a look and make
> sure I did it correctly?

I would set the minimum to 2, but if the controller never tells us that the
queue is full for the drive in question, you'll never get down that low..

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com