Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:16:47 +1100
From:      paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wireless monitoring of APs???

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:03 pm, Randy Bush wrote:
> most APs have snmp

sorry for the delayed response, I've been away :-)

as usual, answers raise more questions... and another hole in my knowledge....
snmp = simple network management protocol, I presume, and allows network
state data to be transported across the network.  So how does this help me
use the AP to monitor the network?

as far as I can see I would need...

1) hardware/software on the AP to monitor the traffic and convert it to
suitable snmp format packets and transmit on the wire.

2) software somewhere else that the AP can talk to that can interperete the
snmp signals...

I can imagine APs would have a variety of snmp capabilities, so this would
essentially be model-specific.

How about snmp information display programs for FreeBSD?

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures