Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:04:39 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS lockd problem

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:50:17AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2010, at 3:08 AM, Giulio Ferro wrote:
> > Outset:
> > 1 NFS server (with lockd)
> > 2 NFS client (with lockd)
> >
> > The clients serve several jails with apache, whose data (www) resides on the server
>
> If you need file locking to work reliably, you pretty much have to give up on using NFS + rpc.lockd and run against a local UFS filesystem.

I thought fcntl(2) worked reliably/properly with NFS on FreeBSD?  I
remember reading somewhere how mixing locking types (fcntl vs. flock vs.
lockf) causes major problems, but as long as the same locking method is
used universally things should work...?

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |