Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 01:02:38 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, Adam Turoff <aturoff@isinet.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 12:32 PM 3/3/99 -0500, Bill Fumerola wrote:
>
> >If the users aren't updating their sources/ports, then the new (lack of)
> >support will not alienate them.
>
> They're often adding the port for the first time. Suddenly, they want a Web
> server, a new editor, a network utility. They get an old one with security
> holes. Not good.
>
> I want to be able to tell my system, "I want the latest version of Program X
> for the version of the operating system I'm currently running. Make it so."
> There's no reason why the ports collection can't resolve the dependencies and
> do that.

There is one really simple reason: somebody has to DO it.  A port is based
on a particular snapshot of the sources; if the developers move stuff
around the sources the port patch files don't work anymore.  It would
take constant work for ports to be maintained for any given release.
Since the port maintainers are more interested in doing this for -stable
and/or -current, I nominate YOU to provide this valuable server to the
"trailing edge" corps.

> >Either
> >       Users want new/updated ports, and they keep their source current.
>
> Non sequitur. I don't want to have a "versionless" or unstable version of the
> OS on the machine just to get a recent version of a ported app. As it is,
> I often forego the ports collection altogether and compile the app myself.
> This can cause problems because I won't be able to take care of any necessary
> adaptations that would be made in a port.
>
> If someone out there is taking the time to do builds, I should be able to
> use them. Otherwise, the port maintainer's time and effort are not
> being used effectively to bring the most benefit to users.

This is a volunteer project.  Many of the prot maintainers are using
their time effectively to solve THEIR needs, and then sharing this
with all other FreeBSD users.  If you want something else, feel free
to contribute it back to the project when you're done.