Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 03:16:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Translation Adaptec 1542 versus NCR810

It seems that Stefan Esser said:
> The NCR bios ought to use the values the drive
> has been initialised with, if it has been used
> with an Adaptec before. If its a clean install,

In that case, the   drive was out of  the  box, first configured  with  the
geometry displayed by the drive and it  didn't boot. I  then took the total
number of sectors, divided by the values of sect/trk and heads displayed by
"boot -v" and calculated the # of cylinders.

It booted like a charm.

The boot problem may    have  been  caused  by    the 2.0.5  MBR    manager
though. Without any boot MGR at all, no problem to boot.
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #7: Mon Nov  6 21:08:06 MET 1995