Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:45:05 -0500
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC Dual channel Ethernet

>Yes, it appears to be a problem specific to the SMC8434BT, SMC wised up
>and found out that many motherboards don't like what they did on this
>card and fixed it in the other boards.

Not true.  The SMC8434 uses normal PCI INT routing through a PCI-PCI
Bridge.  The thing that changed is that MB vendors started following
the PCI spec and getting better BIOS support.

I have one of the original 8484s and have never had a problem with it.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:
http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message